About the Historical & Archaeological Society of Fort Riley
The Historical and Archaeological Society of Fort Riley (HASFR) was formed with the specific intent to preserve, protect and maintain Fort Riley's heritage. Through our historic-focused events, HASFR increases the public's awareness of Ft. Riley's place in history and generates funds to support our local community.
Fort Riley was established in 1853 to protect people traveling on the Oregon-California and Santa Fe trails. After the Civil War, Fort Riley became a major cavalry post and school for cavalry tactics and practice. During this time, George Custer was stationed at Fort Riley. Fort Riley was also home to the 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments, also known as the "Buffalo Soldiers," during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. After World War II, numerous Infantry Divisions were assigned to Fort Riley. Most notably, the post was home to the famed Big Red One from 1955-1996. Between 1999 and 2006, the post was headquarters to the 24th Infantry Division and known as "America's Warfighting Center." In August 2006, the Big Red One returned to Fort Riley from Leighton Barracks, Germany.
If you are interested in joining the board or otherwise volunteering with HASFR, please don't hesitate to